Friday, August 7, 2009

Ode to the Salad Spinner

Luke and I were talking about talents and how he doesn't feel like academics is his thing. As proof to show him that he has so many other talents that the "smart" people only wish they had, I had him quickly write a poem lauding the salad spinner. He sat down and wrote this in less than 5 minutes, read it aloud, and I was laughing so hard. He is so cute and funny and clever and can make people feel right at home in minutes. You always know you have a friend in Luke and he can always make you laugh. He may not be the best test taker or trivia winner but he sure is good at a lot of other things that we only wish we could do. You should see his clothes closet. hee hee hee!
BTW: I was still writing my LONG poem after like 20 minutes and I don't think it even compares to Luke's short and sweet one. Here they are:

Ode to the Salad Spinner
by Luke Barber per Hollie's crazy request

(She had just finished doing a short demo on the wonders of a salad spinner at a Church recipe Night! She is not usually a fan of kitchen gadgets that do just one thing, but the Salad Spinner is one exception. She just keeps it in the fridge all the time so it is a great container to always have crisp lettuce on hand.)


Ah the luxury of a salad spinner,
while in the kitchen I feel like a winner.
Makes it easy to decide what's for dinner,
and by eating it's contents I stay thinner.
The green leafy goodness contained inside,
takes me on a glorious vegetable ride.
It tastes so good you'd think I had died,
and how ironic that none of it's fried.
It looks so aestethic wiht dressing on top.
It I start eating I'm afraid I won't stop.

Ode to the Salad Spinner by Hollie
On behalf o f my lettuce I thank you.
Yes thankyou for just your very existence!
My lettuce used to complain and grumble,
over the long process he really did stumble.
Mr. Romaine loved being out of the bag,
but then getting wet really did lag.
Then he'd lay out on the towel and wait,
it seemed with Miss Mouth, he'd never get a date.
Then he'd be beaten and patted dry,
till at last he could see with his leafy green eye,
the bowl that very soon would be
his final meal presentation for his owner, me.
He would quickly get ripped into little bits.
This process mad him really feel like the pits.
And finally after the long arduous process,
he would sit for prayer and a recess.
And at last victory would be his and mine
as he was enjoyed while my family did dine.
So Salad Spinner not to get off track,
you can see it was a long process in fact.
YOu saved me and Romaine so much time.
You're well worth every penny and dime.
I'll spread the news as much as I can,
that of your spinning skills, I'm really a fan.

No comments: