Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Celestial Survivor: Worth playing for? 100 Grand!


As part of my calling with food storage, self-reliance, and emergency preparedness in church I planned and hosted this "Celestial Survivor" Night as a kickoff to get everyone excited and recommitted to being prepared for the future. I wanted something different and fun where they would learn themselves what they need to do to get their family prepared instead of just coming and listening to a speaker tell us how the prophets have told us for years to get prepared and have food storage, get a couple of handouts, and say "I really need to do that" and go home and not do anything about it. So with my Mother-in-laws brain connected to mine for about 3 weeks, we came up with this night based on the reality TV show "Survivor." It turned out to be tons more fun than I could hope for and everyone said they went away knowing specifically what they needed to do, that is was important, and they had a plan to get started. The spirit was strong a couple of points during the night and we all worked and laughed together. Thank you all for participating and to my awesome mother-in-law who even came down to help me set it up and put it on. You are unbelievable and I do think the Superstar Survivor title goes to you. She can live off her food storage for two years and has taught me so much. Thanks for supporting me in this and being my committee. It was a huge hit! I had the whole ward- men and primary kids included asking if they could come to it. Let me know if anyone wants my materials and details of the night so you can do it for your church ward.

Team Naptali- scewed heavily by the Bishop's wife who is going to use her salt water pool as water storage.
Team Joppa- who very honorably won the wheat eating contest and had great team spirit.These are from the relay race where each team had to pack a mock 72- hour kit in different containers they got to choose from winning the previous challenge. They they had to do a relay around the halls of the church. It was to make them think about the containers their 72-hour kits were in and who would be carrying them and how for how long. It was so funny!
Yes this is me acting as Jessica Probst- from the outback. My face always gets so red and hot when I do stuff like this. But it was fun. A couple of times there were some dilemmas I didn't forsee and just had to improvise and run with it. It was fun though. I hope I didn't hurt any feelings being so harsh when the competition got tuff. They had to stick to the rules. No cheating!
This is from the eating contest where one contestant from each tribe had to eat 1/2 cup of plain cooked wheat. No salt or sugar/flavoring at all, just the kernels. This was to show them that we need to learn how to use wheat right now and start collecting recipes for our storage cause we wouldn't want to eat it like this in an emergency.
Kristin, on the left, was the winner! Kim claimed that someone had dumped their bowl in hers so she shouldn't have to eat it all and was dumping some out. I didn't see it so I couldn't let her win, but she did get second.
Thanks Cassidy for the hat, and Marina for the pictures and enthusiasm. Did you know that Cassidy was so prepared for that night's competition that she had studied up on all the gospel preparedness information that she could. Her studying did pay off on a couple of speed questions during the lightning round. Go Cassidy. No one was actually hurt during the night but there were a couple of close calls! Congrats to the tribe who won. You now have bragging rights that you are official Celestial Survivors. They did win 100 Grand. Worth playing for?
Watch out in case your home might be hit with a Survivor Attack! Will you be a survivor?

3 comments:

The Wilker Family said...

What a cute idea?! Looks like it was a success!

The Rigbys said...

Looks like lots of fun! Here are some great websites on food storage that I have been looking at lately.
http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/
http://everydayfoodstorage.net/
http://thefoodstorageshopper.net/
http://funwithfoodstorage.net/blog/

Mary said...

What a fun idea! I would most definitely like a copy of your plans PLEASE my email is stillwaterflies@mudlake.net
Thanks in advance
Love, Aunt Mary