Sunday, August 16, 2009

After 4 years, I finally finished my tie skirt!!!

I have been collecting neck ties to make a tie skirt. The only problem is it has taken me 4 years to collect enough ties to make the skirt because I didn't want to spend any money on it. I got the idea when I saw a girl wearing one in while picking a movie out in Blockbuster. Only hers used the whole length of the tie so it was really long and flowing. After doing a little research online about all the different kinds out there I decided I wanted to make mine short and sassy but classy at the same time. I can dress it up with a collared shirt or sweater or I can just put a T-shirt on with it and I have got my dose of funk-e for the day. I like to have a a few funky things in my wardrobe to change it up when I am feeling that vibe. I just got this cool old-fashioned comic strip bubble gum pink shirt from Target with a matching $2.00 belt that fit the bill. I love it, but not as much as my tie skirt. Now I want to collect some more to try some variations on the skirt. So if you have any ties, please send them my way. I would love it. Luke and his dad have pretty much been cleaned out. And DI has them but they are still expensive. I guess that will be my next garage sale find too. Keep your eyes out. And if you want one, I would love to make one for you. Seriously!FRONT (above) SIDE (below)
BACK (below)
The thing that is particularly cool about this one compared to others, is I took the lining out of the ties so it is not as thick and bulky, making for a fine silky, sleek skirt. The waistband is made from the other end of the ties. And I also made some little boy's ties from the other skinny end for Gracie's boyfriends.

6 comments:

nicole said...

cute!! i love how crafty you are! we have to get together and do crafty stuff sometime. i love it!

Karl, Meg, and kids said...

turned out way cute!

Mary said...

You are so clever! Thanks for the info on the celestial night. Sounds like fun.

Jeff & Erin said...

so cute! I love love love it! I have always wanted to make a tie blanket, maybe one day I will get to it!

Sarah and Trent said...

Oh my heck - I have ALWAYS wanted to make one of these. Trent has some nasty awesome ties from his grandpa.

I'd have you make one for me, but it probably won't fit for a while :-)

Ellis said...

ow ow!! you're a hott mama! good job on the tie skirt! I've always wanted to make one - as always, your craftiness is inspirational!