Sunday, November 4, 2012

Before we left South Carolina...

I learned A LOT during this young women's calling. And I learned different lessons than I learned in my YW's calling in Vegas. Both wards had very different dynamics as far as leaders and girls go. There are things I won't forget from both. I loved these girls though for the short time I got to know them. It is very different growing up as the only LDS young woman for like 30 miles around you and then there are only 3 or 4 of you at church. Very different than how I grew up. And yet challenges that come with both. I will not forget a lot of hard times I had in YW in my large ward which made it difficult to go to camp some years and even go to church for a while - although I never stopped going. No matter your circumstances, though, I think what matters is that true conversion and testimony, and the blessings received from those, requires independent prayer, study, seeking, and experimenting on your faith and with gospel principles. And you will make it out of that tricky age with bumps and bruises - yes, but with the power to withstand the shafts in the whirlwinds that come your way in life as long as you continue to do the things you have learned and strive to meet the goals you have set.
 
One of the major things I got to help with was the Camp fundraiser. Here are a few pictures of what we did (can't find them all). It was major undertaking to make over 500 chocolate suckers, oreo pops, and fruit lollies. I think my kitchen had melting chocolate and sucker mess in it for about 2 weeks. The YW sold the suckers for $1.00 each for the Easter holiday to the ward and their friends and neighbors. I learned valuable lessons in fundraising and had tons of fun creating the posters, order forms, and marketing stuff etc.
 
The girls learned about chocolate and candy making. And we all learned how after you make something 500 times, it is as fun anymore. I also perfected my chocolate skills which was fun. We did yellow ducks/chicks, chocolate/white bunnies and sprinkle oreo pops with peanut butter oreos, original, and mint. All were very delicious. And it was my first time doing solid chocolate suckers in molds which were super easy and learned how you use a knife to trim off the spill over. We also added rice krispies to some of those for a "krackle" bar effect.
 We did pretzel rods with the left over chocolate which I think would have sold well too. They looked so cute in a plastic bag wrapper and tied with Easter fabric strips I made with fabric I had. It was supported well and we had very little cost in them so profit was big - if you don't count the leaders' time. :) Anyway good memories with good women!

No comments: