Saturday, April 23, 2011

Close to Heaven...

I think children are very close to Heaven.
All of us are very tender because of missing Anjelica and Lenna and very aware of heaven and dying and blessings and love. Not a day goes by that we don't talk about heaven and Grammy.

It's sad that children have to be acquainted with death so early but sweet on the other hand because they get to really learn and practice the plan of salvation. But man, try explaining 1. Where heaven is and 2. Why we can't go there and 3. When we will be able to and 4. Why doesn't Jesus come here? to a 2 year old who misses her Grammy and loves Jesus.

Things Gracie has said:

Before the funeral:
Me: "Where did Grammy go?"
Gracie: "Heaven."
Me: "Yep. And who's taking care of her?"
Gracie: "Anjelica."
She really understood better than me probably. I had never told her that and the answer I was looking for was Heavenly Father was taking care of her. I loved it.

2 nights ago while reading Pippi Longstocking:

There was this picture of the circus clowns carrying Pippi on the bedlike thing-forget what they are called with the four poles like a caravan thing for royalty.
Anyway Gracie said:
"That's like Grammy. Give her a blessing and feel better."
I didn't know she was paying so much attention because it could kind of look like they were carrying her like the casket. The spirit was so strong. She talked about how dad gave Grammy a blessing on the couch.

It is true that they are never too young to start learning ANYTHING. She saw a picture of Alma blessing the people and she talked about the blessing again. I need to take a lesson from her and not leave blessings to a last resort, "after all I can do myself" kind of thing. This life, like what was taught at Lenna's funeral, is not about how much we are able to accomplish by ourselves through our own grit and strength, but how we use the atonement readily and daily with faith because it has already been done for us. We aren't supposed to do it without help. You are just banging your head against the wall when you say I can do it and as a last resort seek spiritual help. It is like saying, "No thanks or let me try first" to Jesus when he already did it for us. " I have to remind myself of that ALOT. The faith of a mustard seed to to move mountains is not what it was to me before. It is not how the smallest grain of faith can move a mountain, but how the smallest repeated applications or use of faith in the smallest daily moments creates a compounding mountain of strength and power like President Monson or Joseph Smith or Nephi or Helaman or Abinidai. You get the point. Now I just have to remember the point.
I love the spirit that comes with being a mom to precious little (whiny, did I say that?) children. How do we become like a little child? And be close to Heaven?

"When you have someone you love in Heaven, you have a little piece of Heaven in your home."

Sometimes children are like having a little lesson from Heaven in your home too.

No comments: