Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cast Off!

I wrote "Cast Off!" on my calendar a month ago and every time I saw it I would read it and say, "Cast off what?" and then I would remember oh yeah, that is the day Gracie gets her cast off. Well that day came on Wednesday and it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

For two days after I have been wishing the cast was back on again because Gracie won't/can't walk. She wouldn't even stand the first day because she said it hurt. But now after a few days she is walking but very slowly and limply. Her leg has buckled under her a few times so that really scared her. And the stairs are definitely "bottom friendly". And to top off whatever pain or discomfort she is feeling, I think she just started the terrible 2-3's. There is definitely a difference. She says no to me all the time, has crying fits, whines instead of talks, and just started asking "why?" back to back to back (you know like Pinocchio?). And she is even picking on Katie when she gets bored or tired. Must have patience. I think I am going to start the "nose on the wall" discipline.

We caused a traffic jam while leaving an overcrowded Costco on Friday because Gracie refused to ride in the cart. She wanted to walk (limp) and carry her drink and I was carrying Katie who could not stand her car seat any longer. We were going so slow that I finally just picked her up and somehow managed to carry her and her drink in one arm, Katie in the other, and still push the cart. I was hoping someone would offer to push the cart for me and finally a nice lady did but we were only 5 feet from the car. So we got there, spilling the drink and crying in the process, and me (who never litters) leaving the cup in the parking lot because I had had enough.

On a silly note, when we were sitting in the waiting room at the Orthopedic's office I opened Gracie's backpack that she insisted on bringing with her that morning to carry her baby.
Instead of finding here baby, I found...
3 dirty diapers!! It made me laugh and be grossed out at the same time.
Explanation: Gracie always helps me bring the diapers downstairs. Dad taught her to say "fire in the hole" and pretend they are a grenade. Then we pick them up and put them in the trash outside our backdoor. Apparently she thought they should go in her backpack instead. GROSS!
She IS a good little helper when she has slept well. And the doc said give it a couple of weeks for her leg to be normal again. I just have to laugh. :)
And I am grateful that what happened to me when I was 2 and broke my arm, (Dr. cut/burned me with the saw in 3 places while I screamed and my dad held me down), didn't happen to Gracie. I still can't imagine what that must have been like for my parents.

No comments: