Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Cheerio in the nose and a Broken Leg!

We recently managed to stay away from the Dr.'s office when Gracie
stuck a cheerio up her nose...

I don't have pictures of this because I was busy trying to get it out. It was so far up I couldn't press on it with my finger on the outside and I needed a flashlight to see it.

1st- I tried to teach Gracie to blow her nose. "Farmer Blowing" and everything.

2nd- Tried a bulb syringe that just pushed the cheerio in farther.
3rd-
Tweezers were not helpful.
4th- I just hoped it would soften up and dissolve like it does in milk. (Dumb, snot is not saliva Hollie!)
5th- My be
st friend Google helped us out. I found a post that said to use a vacuum to suck it out. Luke walked in just in time to help me. They used a shop vac like this with a pen tube taped on the end. We just used our normal Hoover and stuck the vacuum tube right outside her nostril. The cheerio came out on the second try. It felt so good to hear it go up the tube and see an empty nose again. And that we didn't have to go to the doctor!

Here's other ways I found just in case you need them or I do again:
- Put your mouth on their nose and suck
it out.
- Plug the other nostril and blow in their mouth.
- Get the child to sneeze by plucking a nose hair out or having them smell pepper.

But we are glad we went to the doctor last Sunday because Gracie broke her leg!!
Believe it or not, all she did was slip on the last two stairs in our house when she was coming down after nap time on Saturday. We didn't see it happen but she cried for a while after. Just thinking that she sprained her foot or ankle, we let her ice it and watch TV the rest of the night. When she woke up on Sunday, she wouldn't stand or walk on it cause it hurt too bad. Nothing felt tender to her except when we pushed up on her foot. We took her to the Instacare, followed by X-rays at the hospital. Then we went back to the Instacare for a splint and got an appointment for Wednesday to get the cast.

She tries to scoot on her bum around the house, but she can only go so far for so long. SO that means we CARRY HER everywhere. That makes a car seat, a 4 month old, and a wiggly squirming 2 year old to carry around. We are all going to be really grateful when she can walk and run and play again.

For now Gracie and I did puzzles for 2 straight hours. I am afraid there will be a lot of TV watching going on for a while, I hate that. Silver lining... maybe I can get some more books written and designed for HSH while she watches.

1 comment:

April said...

Poor Gracie! That must be hard for her.

Good to know about the vaccum and cheerios!