Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Hogle Zoo, Little Butte Cemetery, and the E.R.

Yep, May almost went by unscathed.We went to Hogle Zoo with all of my bros and sis families except Karl's :(
Mom & Dad came too but couldn't find parking so they went home :(
- but it was a fun day. My 2 favorite parts were the camels (who knew their humps were so crazy big, pointy, uncomfortable, and not full of water?) and riding the train, the only thing we managed to do ALL together. I think everyone in Utah decided to get out on a finally pretty warm day to go to the zoo.
Nice choke-hold Gracie... and No, I did not match my shirt to the zoo on purpose! (And Nancy these are tiger stripes not zebra. hee hee. The zebras were not on the loose.)
From the zoo we traveled to Idaho Falls to stay the night and go to the Little Butte Cemetery in Rigby the next day. We got to see Luke's mom's headstone, clean it, and leave flowers. It is possible the cutest cemetery I have ever seen! It is up on this little cute hill that overlooks the town. That is where I would want to be buried if it were tomorrow. Who knows where life will lead us right?
We were supposed to eat dinner at Uncle Charlie and Karen's but we ended up going to the emergency room at ERMC Hospital for Kate (- the same place that Luke got a blood transfusion as a kid after he ran through a glass door).

Why did we go to the ER you ask?

Luke's cousin Trent is almost 7 ft tall, 37 yrs old, but mentally about 8-10 yrs old. Aunt Karen was holding Kate and handed her off to Trent. He then swung her across the room to another chair by just her hands and then down to the floor again and back to his lap. Considering his height and the force of the swings, it is no wonder that her elbow popped out of its socket.

Kate cried like she never has before for about 1 hour with a few little breaks. (My babies don't usually cry once they are with me unless they are tired). She fell asleep and when she woke up she played a little with one arm, but wouldn't move her left arm. I moved it twice and both times she started crying in pain. So we decided, on a Sunday and out of town, to go to the ER. The doc put her elbow back in place in two seconds and she was all better like that.

This is a photo of her on the stretcher after it was fixed! The doc then taught us that this is really common (they thought Gracie had pulled on her arm) called "Nursemaid's Elbow." He showed us how to do it so that we can fix it ourselves *next time* and then he even let us practice on his own arm. It was awesome. Hopefully the bill is not too awesome.

In case you ever need it, I guess there is a you-tube video that teaches you what to do too. I just didn't dare do it when I didn't know for sure what was wrong. I will next time though.

Confession: I have accidentally given "Nursemaid's Elbow" to my niece Sofia while pulling her out of a sleeping bag. AND my mom and I accidentally did it to my sister Nancy when we were swinging her as we walked. Easy to do and thankfully easy to fix! However, your arm is more susceptable to popping out again once it has happened until you're about 5. We will try to keep you safe Kate!

3 comments:

Brandon,J'lene, Kamiah,Braelyn, Chelsea, Aussie said...

OH my you where right next to where I live. Other then I am in Washington and have been since the 19th of May. We are going home on the 5th of June. I live in Menan About three minutes from the cemetery and 10 minutes from Rigby and 20 from Idaho Falls. If ever you come down again we were love to have you over and if you ever need a place to stay our home is open. my cell is 208-201-3515 sounds like you had a great time!!

April said...

Poor baby! I've heard of nursemaid's elbow. I'm glad she's okay!

Jeff & Erin said...

So sad! Kaleb has had that happen to him probably 6-8 times now (I've lost track). It is so sad! But really is easy to fix, I've had to do it before :(