Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I went Dumpster Diving!

Yesterday, I put 2 trash bags in my car on my way out. One was full of garbage to dump in the dumpster and the other one was full of stuff to take to D.I.

I forgot to dump the garbage before leaving our circle of townhomes so I decided to dump it in a dumpster at the apartment complex in Draper on the way to my in-law's house so I wouldn't have to drive around with stinky diaper garbage all day. Without thinking, I grabbed a garbage sack and heaved it over the gate surrounding the dumpster and it landed in the trash with a crashing glass sound that did not sound like garbage. I realized that I had thrown the DI bag in the trash and the garbage was still in my car. Oh man!

I am barely taller than the dumpster so I looked in and saw it was empty except for a few bags of trash and one box full of boxes. It took me a couple of minutes to decide if I should really try and rescue the clothes and other house odds n' ends that I was going to donate. But you know me, I always see value in everything and I couldn't just leave it there in the garbage when someone else might need it. So I studied the inside of the garbage can to see if I could get out. There was nothing inside to step on and I wasn't just tall enough to climb out with my arms and besides I would get really, really dirty, and there was even a chance that I could get stuck inside with my girls waiting for me in the running car. I decided I could do it with the box's help. I did a Spiderman move on the outside gate of the dumpster by standing on the lock and then jumping in from there. I rescued my bag. Then I tipped the computer paper box over to stand on and... yes I got out just as the box was collapsing under my weight.

It was a close call, but I decided I was a hero for the day for sacrificing and taking the risk to rescue the DI bag!

And that was just how the day started. By 2:30, Gracie was driving me nuts which is my own fault for pushing nap time. We spent 1 hour terrorizing the waiting room of a dr.'s office we did not even visit (next door to the lab where I got my blood drawn) because Katie was hungry, and Gracie "said" she had to go potty twice, all while I was trying to nurse Kate. So pretty much I fought her in the bathroom, she cried, she played, dumped my diaper bag and it's contents all over the floor in front of me looking for a treat, then we tried to go potty again, she cried and fought me cause she wanted her pink potty at home. I finished nursing Kate, cleaned up my diaper bag, let Gracie have a granola bar, and then fought with her over not playing with the toys anymore and putting her coat on so we could go. Thank goodness I was able to drop her off at Grammy's house for nap time so I could run to three more places before she woke up.

So if dumpster diving doesn't make you a hero, I know motherhood certainly does.
I love being a mom!

4 comments:

Jones Family said...

Wow. you are one brave woman! I honestly don't think I could ever jump in a dumpster!! and with the chance of not getting out! Sorry I'm responding so late. I hadn't realized you posted on my blog until just last night. That is so funny about the whole Chandler name. I hope you have forgiven me by now!:) Amy and I had decided that one of us needed to keep the name in the family, and she also has an "er" in her last name, Tucker. So I ended up taking the name. Chandler is a good name! We have lived in Herriman since last May. Wynn works for a Heavy Civil Construction company and is the earth work engineer for one of the jobs in Herriman. With the construction business it changes all the time, but for now it has been great for him to work close to home. And I just stay home with Chandler! I would love to get together with you. My schedule is always open! my #801-928-9178. So let me know, that would be fun. Also, who is your OB in Riverton?

Jones Family said...

And, Chandler was born sept.'08 so him and Gracie are about the same age. I'm sure they would have a lot of fun together.

April said...

What a day you had! Glad you survived. I would have gotten the bag out of the dumpster too. :-)

amy ayres said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has those days. Way to go mommy!