Saturday, September 18, 2010

First Overheard Prayer

Gracie came and got in bed with me. Of course I had to go to the bathroom. While I was on my way there, Gracie grabbed Luke's journal from his nightstand, I guess to do some light reading.
While I was in the other room, this is what I hear.

"Heavenly Father,
Thank you forrrr...
little guy,
Thank you forrrr...
little books,
(meaning dad's journal which she was reading)
Thank you forrrr...
water,
Thank you forrr...
Alice, (Alice the camel has 3 humps is one of her fav songs right now)
Thank you forrr...
Mom and Dad, (she put us together for the first time,sweet and a higher language skill
Jesus (closing the prayer)
Allelu-u-jah Ba-a-by!" (went into singing allelujah from "Michael Row the Boat Ashore" to her baby)

I LOVE IT!! (I have exactly what she said because I wrote it on the toilet paper next to me. What? It's all I had!)

So this is our perfect moment and lasting reward for fighting her at mealtimes to say a prayer when all she wants to do is eat and it would be easier just to let her and not make her say a prayer with us. And for all the times my pregnant body doesn't want to go upstairs and/or stop what I am doing to say good night prayers with her and dad. She is even pulling the teenager thing and not wanting to say prayers or always chooses one of us to do it.
We have to give talks on Sunday about "Raising a Righteous Family." This is definitely going in there because it is these perfect moments that make doing the right things like FHE, Family Scriptures, and Family Prayer, the sacrifice and work it takes all worth it.
Now I have just got to figure out how to take doing those 3 things (the seminary, rattled off answers for raising a righteous family) to the next level. Not just doing it because you are supposed to. How do you do it at the next level? Got a couple of hours to figure it out, before I sleep and give the talk! I will post some of the things I have learned on here after tomorrow. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Sarah and Trent said...

That is one of the cutest things I have ever heard. What a great job you are at being Mommy!

Mandy said...

That is really cute! Hope your talk went well. I miss you!

April said...

That is SO sweet! I'm glad that you had toilet paper handy!

How did your talks go?