Sunday, August 8, 2010

Glad to be alive!

We were sitting at a DEAD STOP on I-15...
on our way to check out a home for rent in American Fork, 1 mile to our exit and...
we got rear-ended by a guy going 60-65 MPH who NEVER put on his breaks.
He pushed us into the car in front of us...
and then we went off into the ravine on the side.
Our seats BENT/BROKE on initial impact (not sure if this is a safety feature or not but I think it saved us from more injuries)... Luke's seat did not crush Gracie's legs behind him, miracle... (and now I know firsthand, the purpose of the latch system in the seats of your car to hook the car seat to, even though they are a pain, they are worth it because it kept Gracie's seat from popping up like this other one did.)
The AIR BAGS deployed on second impact...
and kept us in our seats with help from the seat belts! (I think the airbags broke the windshield.) I will never forget the SMELL of the airbag powder and the powdery SMOKE in the air. It was so scary!
I thought the car was on fire and it was so out of the blue, neither of us saw it coming, that it took me a few seconds as we were going off the side of the road to understand that we got hit. Luke and I were just talking and waiting in the traffic, Gracie was watching a movie on the DVD player, and then... BOOOM! (I will never forget that horrifying sound.)

My PREGNANT BELLY was so TIGHT and my chest seemed like a thousand pounds were sitting on top of it making it impossible to breathe. Luke was YELLING at me, "ARE YOU OKAY? ARE YOU OKAY?" And I couldn't answer. And then I turned to look at my Gracie girl who had the most SCARED facial expression in the world. And she was screaming and crying!!
I didn't care if I was hurt. I had to pry my bent door open to get out of the car to go get my screaming and crying little girl. She was just shaking and wouldn't calm down.

And to add to her fear, somehow our CAR HORN got triggered in the crash so it was going non-stop till someone helped us disconnect it. There was pieces of cars all over the road.

It turns out the SAAB driver hit us and we hit someone else, then he sideswiped a semi and hit another car into the cement barrier and then himself into the barrier. 4 cars and a semi that all got hit because the SAAB wasn't paying attention, or texting, or on the phone, who knows...

The ambulances and police showed up in a little while and they closed down the freeway and re-routed everyone because traffic was so backed up.

After getting a ride in the ambulance (sweet Gracie didn't want to leave my arms while they inspected me and my 26 WEEK OLD BABY, let alone sit in the car seat to go to the hospital), they checked us all out in the ER, x-rayed Luke's shin and my knee, which were in a lot of pain and determined they were okay.
Gracie went home with Grammy and Papa (so thankful to have them close) and then I sat up on the LABOR AND DELIVERY FLOOR for 4 HOURS while they monitored my baby's heartbeat. They discharged me at 3:00 am and Luke was right there to take me home. Like we even wanted to get in back in the car!

So far this is my longest lasting injury... seatbelt bruise! Glad that is there...
(and to think I previously hated seatbelts! I am an advocate now.)
My knee has hurt for a while, but I am going upstairs normally now! It still kills to touch it.
Gracie bit her tongue in 3 places! (Her mouth was bloody when I got her out of the car, but we are glad it was just from biting her tongue).
Her two small fingers were bruised and a small cut. I am guessing she must have had her hand on the belt or buckles of her car seat. They are partly healed here.
She bruised the underside of her chin too. And now every loud noise has been scaring her and the car horns too. The loud thunder storms and lightning here have not been helping. She has been crying from the thunder and all I can think of is it reminds her of the accident.
Luke's legs took the brunt of the damage. His shin is still hurting him. I am so glad he was with us when this happened. He is our protector, literally! I am so glad none of us got severe injuries.
We are all very sore, but feel very blessed. I am so grateful for our big nice car, that is now TOTALED (bye my favorite 4-runner, who was so good to us and saved our lives).
I am so grateful for airbags and seat belts. I think and hope everything is going to be covered well by the Saab driver's insurance, including my snapped-in-half cell phone, popped out bottom piece lap-top, medical bills, and car coverage. (And we have to get a new car seat now because they said they lose their safety ability after being in wrecks of speeds over 30 mph.)
And don't forget my recent ultra-sound to check for damage to the placenta and decreased fluid. CUTE PICTURE of our safe, and littlest baby girl coming NEXT.

We are so thankful to be able to walk-away from this!! Baby, Gracie, and all.

NOTE to you: PLEASE WEAR YOUR SEATBELT and BUCKLE and HOOK CHILD CAR SEATS correctly. Gracie has always said, "Buckle Mommy!" as I got in the driver's seat way before this accident. Please think of her reminding you to "buckle", you and your child in.

(If you are one who doesn't buckle a child in even for just a quick ride down the street, don't do it anymore! You woud be so sorry if they got hurt. And they would. Trust me, we weren't doing anything wrong or unsafe to get hit Monday night. It just happens! No nursing while driving either, I mean it and I have done it!!)

7 comments:

Karl, Meg, and kids said...

SAD! We are so happy you are all safe though. Dad told us about it the other day when Karl call to tell him about his accident. He was road biking going 20-35 MPH with some friends and a dog came out in front of him. He hit the dog and flipped over the dog clipped into his bike. He hit his shoulder really bad. Brok his scapula. Scrapped up his back and bruised his leg pretty good. We were glad he was wearing a helmet. He looks about like you guys do. OK so maybe a little worse. He didn't have any protection except his helmet.

Sorry I wasn't trying to take the light of your accident I was just guessing that you would want to know about Karl too. We were REALLY happy to hear you guys are as good as you are. I feel bad for poor little Gracie though!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! What a scary experience. So so glad you're all okay. Yikes, I can't imagine getting hit at 65 mph, what a dumb dumb for not paying attention and wrecking into everyone...too bad you guys got the brunt of it all. Wow, I can't believe your seatbelt injury and so happy the baby is okay too. Keep healing and good luck finding a new car now...like you don't have a million other things to do!! Yay for your good car and seatbelts!!

April said...

I'm SO glad that you are all okay. Super scary. I've always been a total advocate for seat belt use. It saves lives! I'm glad you were wearing yours.

Mandy said...

How scary!!! I'm so glad that all of you are okay! You were definately being watched over that day.

Ellis said...

SO glad you are all safe! I can't imagine how scary that was for all of you! good luck with everything and hope all goes well!

nicole said...

i'm so glad you guys are all alright! that's so scary. and it makes me so nervous, because tyler never wants to put his seatbelt on! i always have to nag him to do it because he never thinks anything like this could happen. and his driving scares me too! he follows too close, so i could TOTALLY see something like this happening! =(

Life of an Org said...

oh my gosh! This made my heart sink. I am so glad you guys are ok. I can't believe you all were able to walk away from that. Definately going to wear my seatbelt and never use my car seat with out my based latched in. Hopefully Gracie starts doing better. I would be a nervous wreck. I'm SO glad you guys are all safe!