Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Re-doing those chairs, still not done but here's a preview

I got these 4 chairs when we first got here. Thrifted, black, blue, and mauve, grody, stained cushioned chairs. Super sturdy, great detail, and cheap!
The bench I haggled down to $15. I pulled off 4 eras of fabric with hundreds of staples and sore hands. Then Luke cut the balls off the top for meand put them on the bottom to match the table legs and then the tops would match the chairs.

Here is how they look now. Only half way there! I finally got me a staple gun so re-doing these cushions was a cinch.


Luke had the idea to replace the broken wicker backs with padded fabric backs. Genius. We are going to put copper nailhead trim around the backs as well.
The bench will have matching fabric and nailheads as well. I am also considering making a removable pad that goes the whole length of the bench so it will be easier to clean since it is where the girls sit.

Why am I stuck at this point?
Well, I still can't decide if I want to keep them pure white or antique/distress them to make them look worn like originally planned. Your thoughts? I have to decide before I can put the clear protective coats on. Still a ways to go, but they will get finished. Here a little, there a little. Then onto the table.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

I would definately antique the chairs...but then again i'm a sucker for that kind of look. Good luck!!

Brandon,J'lene, Kamiah,Braelyn, Chelsea, Aussie said...

you are so creative. They look awesome!I like both looks! but if it isn't to much more work I say antique! good luck let us see the end result!!!

Ellis said...

They look stunning! Way to go, Hollie!

The Mickelsens said...

Those look great, and I like Luke's idea of the extra fabric in back.

Sarah and Trent said...

Love the chairs! I actually really like the white. And the girls' pictures are BEAUTIFUL!! They are so photogenic!