Sunday, November 8, 2009

We won!!!

Thanks to...We WON!!! Gracie was so cute and punch drunk after the late night and all the candy and cupcakes... She couldn't stop smiling, which is good cause she is always so sober.

I have always wanted to win a Halloween Costume Contest. In the past, we have been eliminated because I was on the committee so it wasn't "fair" if we won. Well... you can see for yourself... Popeye, Olive Oyl, and Swee' Pea were so excited to win this year.
MORE MUSCLIER POPEYE LUKE: Luke was a perfect Popeye considering his current focus on becoming more fit and getting a ripped body. It was kind of a little tease for my now more musclier husband.

NOT AS THIN AND TALL OLIVE OYL HOLLIE: After confirming that I was indeed Olive Oyl, a lady said that I had put on a little weight. I was really taken back at first because I cannot remember that last time that I was this skinny and feeling good about myself. I can't remember what year in high school that I weighed what I weigh now. However after thinking it through and trying to figure out how to respond I knew she was referring to tall skin and bones Olive Oyl in the show.... NOT ME! Still! Would you say something like that to someone? What about the hair, should I go black permanently?

SWEE' PEA GRACIE: Gracie looked so sweet and like a little baby again. Everyone gushed over how cute she looked and just a sweet little baby. She looked too little to be walking around with a sucker in her mouth. And she did NOT get called a BOY once! How ironic, considering that in the real Popeye show, Swee'Pea is actually a boy. Ha ha ha!

COSTUMES: I made all of our outfits from clothes and stuff we already had. I only spent $3.00 on a black polo shirt for Luke at DI so I could cut it and sew stuff permanently on. And $2.0o for my black hair dye. I only temporarily sewed the additions on to mine and Gracie's clothing because it is stuff we actually wear!!
This was definitely the cheapest and most clever Halloween costumes I have done yet.

PARTY: As far as the party goes, it was way fun. I sewed a princess costume for a young women in our ward and she looked so pretty and she wore my jewelry too. We had a chili cookoff with cornbread muffins. A bunch of carnival games inside the church. Gracie walked around and grabbed candy out of people's bowls. These are our good friends the Noyes and Gracie's boyfriend Nixon dressed as a crocodile. So cute!SCARY TRUNK OR TREAT: Luke's trademark for trunk or treats is to put a black garbage bag across the inside of our trunk and get inside the car. Open up the back seat and lay there waiting with a bowl of candy sitting alone in the trunk. When someone comes to grab candy, the wood elf/Luke scares them with his voice and hands and nose and they love it. Luke's idea entirely. Again we lost the best trunk prize last year because I was in the Primary Presidency and put it on. Dang!! Luke tore up his elbows doing it really bad this year. Next year, long sleeves for sure.
I can't wait for next Halloween. We already know what we are going to be! Wahoo!

3 comments:

Brandon,J'lene, Kamiah,Braelyn, Chelsea, Aussie said...

Sounds Fun, you guys look great!! My girls love popeye cartoons!! Brandon and I want to dress up next year for Halloween we'll see!

Life of an Org said...

Hollie this is exactly what Ryan and I were going to be for Halloween next year ha. I like the dark hair on you and I wouldn't even think twice about what that lady said cause you are tiny. What's your secret I want to shed baby pounds soon and fast!! I need your address to invite to my baby shower to and since I haven't seen you in forever it's been hard to get it from ya so just leave a comment for me or send it to my e-mail please :) Thanks ...alexmulcock@gmail.com

April said...

You guys looked great and the costumes were very inventive. His woodland guy costume is scary!